Monday, January 30, 2012

The Rothko Chapel, a Houston Gem.

 I'm so exited about this post, and I can't believe it took me so long to write it! A few days ago, I was chatting with a friend and mentioned the Rothko Chapel. She had never seen it. I suddenly realized that most people I mention the chapel to, have never seen it. So, I'm hoping to do something about that!  I lived in Houston for years, before discovering the chapel, too. It impacted me in a way, I will never forget!
 The Chapel was the brain-child of John and Dominique de Menil. Houston art lovers are familiar with the de Menil's and their amazing contributions to Houston's culture. They were responsible for bringing modern art and architecture to Texas. It was the de Menil's idea to commission a space where God, art, and people of all faiths could come together...WOW!!! The idea seems so extravagant, but it was made a reality in a beautifully minimalist manner. Thanks to the majestic yet sober panels that fill the small sanctuary. I haven't found any photos that show just how amazing this art is. Its as if their beauty can't be captured. They just have to be experienced in person. I will admit to sitting on those plain wooden benches and weeping. Ha, that makes sound a little bit crazy! Later, I learned that Rothko was quoted as saying, "The fact that people break down and cry when confronted with my pictures shows that I can communicate those basic human emotions..the people who weep before my pictures are having the same religous experience I had when painting them". 
Even before walking into the building, I was struck by a sense of serenity. There is a large reflection pond and in the center is the Broken Obelisk sculpture by Barnett Newman. Quite amazing!
I don't think I'll go on and on, because plenty of people have written about the Chapel and in more depth than I can go into. But, I will say that any one who sees this post and can get to the Rothko Chapel...go as soon as you can!!
Photos via:
1. Lost the source, sorry

No comments: