Thursday, July 7, 2011

Personal Memorial

This week I find myself asking, what is the appropriate response to the passing of an ingenious artist? I was sad to read of the passing of Cy Twombly on Tuesday. Strange that I wrote about him just recently and discovered that I was introducing his work to many of you. 
Well, yesterday I felt called to visit the Twombly museum here in Houston, as a personal memorial. (If any of you visit Houston, I highly recommend paying a visit). Its white and sun-drenched walls make Twombly's work come alive. Most especially the colossal "Say Goodbye, Catullus, to the Shores of Asia Minor". Wow! What a wonderful tribute.
Standing in front of the paintings, I allowed myself to be filled with emotions of joy and life. I always feel that way about Twombly's work. Maybe my "memorial" was self-centered, since I mostly thought about how I felt. Unfortunately, I didn't know another way to pay tribute to a person I never met. But, an artists work is an expression of their true selves. So, maybe allowing it to speak to me is a great tribute indeed?
 (Photos by Carolina Saunders)

No comments: