Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Modern Cottage.

As is often the case, I'm very late in writing this post. Remember the whole "no internet" thing? Last week I had the pleasure of photographing one of my favorite Houston homes. Located in the my usual stomping grounds, I have been admiring for a few years now. So a few weeks ago, I drove by and was surprised to see it for sale! Click here to see the listing. Being the house stalker that I am (Yeah, I admit it), I called to see if I could see the interior.
The house was shown in a local magazine a few years ago, but the owners graciously indulged my desire to take some pics myself:) What I always admired from afar was the beautiful color scheme of the exterior. Its very bold but has a Zen feel, especially with the bamboo.


This house is like a wonderful gift in a beautiful wrapper. You know sometimes, you wonder if what's inside is as great as the exterior? I'm glad to say that I was not disappointed when I walked in the door. The decor is restrained elegance with a modern twist. I can say that I haven't seen many homes with such a wonderful attention to detail. Something I really loved were the creative vignettes placed around the house.

Check out the ebony stained floors throughout the house! I know lots of you love them as much as I do.

The kitchen is simple and clean. I think this is one those rare kitchens that actually inspire me to cook. That is saying a lot, trust me!

The large open doorways are a remnant of when the house was a beauty salon. Instead of replacing the doors the owners either left them open or installed heavy draperies from tracks. The bedroom also has a fabulous dressing room that once was a porch.
P.S. The cool framed numbers are from Ebay!



So was I right? Beautiful, huh? One last amazing detail. The backyard is a small garden. Inorder to expand the space, a mirror was installed along the back fence. With the large plants in front, the yard seems to go on forever...without all the trimming that is;)

30 comments:

Annie said...

Carolina,
That is one gorgeous bungalow! Great shots you took, too.

Carolina Eclectic said...

Thanks Annie:)

Paloma {La Dolce Vita} said...

Both the house and your photography are absolutely gorgeous!

our little love nest said...

Amazing home, blogs and photography! Wowed!

Courtney said...

goodness i love this! and it makes me miss my houston bungalow a lot. love their grouping of john derian -- perhaps I need all of mine grouped in one spot -- and also makes me excited to buy some asian pieces and begin incorporating them!

Kara said...

Wow such a neat house. Good pics!

Cakewalk said...

Wish I could drop everything and buy it. Right now! I also wish I could just knock the door of every home I fancied and get treated to a tour. I'm often tempted...

Cote de Texas said...

Gosh - it looks so different here from the HAR - interesting how you eye captured it so differently. Better! I adore this - the floors are gorgeous. you really are a great photographer. my favorite is the mirror - I would love to do that. small world, hehe. You are the best!

Ann said...

I love the zen feel in some of the parts of the house...makes it look so serene and such a calm place to live in. I especially love the simple nook(?) with the big clear windows.

Caroline said...

Very nice :) well done! The house is amazing and def. filled with details.

HappY Easter to you too. I hope you had a fab. relaxing weekend.

[J] said...

Looks like a wonderful place!!

Lauren said...

Even though I was totally distracted by your fabulous photography skills, I think this bungalow is perfection! Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Sarah's Fab Day said...

Gorgeous!

Meg said...

I LOVE this house Carolina! Great shots!

LindsB said...

I cant stop looking at those amazing floors, I am in L.O.V.E! I would die to have them in my house!!

Helene said...

I found YOU through Desire to Inspire.
I like your blog a lot.
You are welcome to mine though it´s mostly in swedish.
My blog is about us building a new house and other interior and domestic thoughts.
I have a translation function that works not so well.
I have ended doing my posts in both english and swedish, cause to lack of time!

Have a nice weekend!
Helene

Pink Wallpaper said...

wow, very cool...and how nice of them to let you come and photograph it to share w/ us!

Plastolux said...

WOW, what a killer house. Can I just move in, of course I will need all of their furnishings as well :)

emily said...

I saw the picture of the house and thought to myself that looks very familiar. After viewing the listed, no wonder . . . it is only 2 blocks over from my own house, I have stopped and admired it from the outside before!

THE BRICK HOUSE said...

omg

what is that exterior color? I need it. I love it. I have to know.

any idea?

Michelle said...

I.Love.This.House. SOMUCH.

Seriously, if I could have any house I've ever seen, this would be in the top 5.

Heather said...

What a gorgeous house! I love the painting of the outdoor chair in the kitchen. Any idea who the artist is?

Courtney said...

This home is gorgeous, and you captured it so well! Thanks for sharing!

angela | the painted house said...

Hey, Houstonian! I just found your blog via Desire to Inspire. We used to live in Houston--I went through the painting program at UofH. And we owned a little mid-cent tract in Westbury, but now we are now in Georgia, and I miss gawking at my favorite homes around Houston. This house is beautiful--thank you for sharing! And, I'm happy to have another Houston blog to read.

Joslyn said...

this is a great house! awesome photos.
hope all is well.
xo

HarbengerDuo said...

thanks for sharing. love the house and photos. i would love to have those floors...
i saw this post a couple weeks ago, but just read about it again on swamplot.

Hill Country House Girl said...

What a wonderful house. I love the John Derian collection and the lawn chair painting!Isn't it so much fun to finally get inside houses that you have driven by so many times? I am afraid there are a lot of us house stalkers out there - probably the same ones on their computers at night reading design blogs!

Jessica said...

Carolina-

I stalk (errr....walk my dog very slowly by) this house every afternoon admiring it. Thanks so much for posting your observations on it - it is so much better than I could have imagined!

Vai said...

Wow, this is a real home for life. I like everything.

Designin

UKisOK said...

Beautiful! Oddly enough our house on a neighboring street has the very same layout inside, I expect the difference outside is superficial. Looking at your pictures is giving us ideas if we restored the place. From the Living room back to the kitchen is practically the same house (as in shape and layout), same windows and fireplace etc. Very nice thanks for sharing. D&K