Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I Don't Like Christmas Music!

Every year at this time I begin to feel like the Grinch. Mostly because I really dislike Christmas music! It just really drives me crazy! Usually its so boring and wimpy. To make matters worse, people start playing earlier and earlier every year. Now, before you decide that my heart is a few sizes too small; let me explain myself. I have a very good reason for disliking Christmas music. You see, I have to admit an ugly family secret...my family liked listening to Christmas music year round. Oh the horror!! In May or September, one could often hear Deck the Halls or Silent Night and so on. I told all of you it was terrible! So if you aren't horrified enough! Who were the most popular artists who sang Christmas music all year? Only people like Perry Como, Engelbert Humperdinck, Anne Murrey...must I go on. My stomach gets tied up in knots every time I think about it. (For those of you younger than I am, and you don't know who these people are...be grateful!) As you may imagine, as soon as I had a choice; I avoided all Holiday music whenever possible. The funny thing is that now that I am a mom, I find myself wanting to teach Liam all the kid favorites. So last year I started to come to terms w/ my aversion. What I started doing was collecting Christmas music that I can tolerate, by artists I like in styles of music I like. Funny enough, now I find myself listening to "My Christmas Music" quite a bit. I decided I would even share it w/ all of you who may feel the way I do. I posted my list on the sidebar, available for those who want to hear it, but I'm not forcing it on anyone. If you want, check it out. (Be forewarned, I have an affinity for Rockabilly).

11 comments:

tam said...

I'm with ya sister! i can only take Christmas music in small doses! LOL! On my blog I have a little but I turn my sound off so I won't get tired of it.
You are not a grinch-no worries!
~Smiles~Tam

columnist said...

It takes the patience of Job to "switch off" in shopping malls etc. But I've learned that skill.

Ann said...

That was funny. Being a Mom makes us sometimes do things we won't be caught dead doing, but its so much fun being a Mom, isn't it.

I also came from a family who loves Christmas songs, once the Ber months come in I get to hear Christmas Songs daily until January. Those Jackson 5 songs are really a staple. But now I like the song, My Grown Up Xmas Wish.

Topsy Turvy said...

Ouch - Christmas music all year! Did you ever see the movie 'Love Actually'? Very funny & you might actually like that soundtrack. the cynical rock star's Christmas song & video is quite funny.

-Lana

annechovie said...

Too funny! I agree with you about a lot of it, I certainly have my faves, though. Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog!

hello gorgeous said...

What is wrong with you? Perhaps I am your long lost sister. I love Christmas music and am known to play it (usually to myself though) at inappropriate times of year.

However, I did see a Christmas concert that kicked my ass = rockabilly style with former Stray Cats guy, Brian Setzer and his Orchestra. It was awesome at our beautiful little theatre. It would melt your cold, cold heart. :-)

Renee Finberg said...

i love you !!!!

i can't stand it the music either( from working in showrooms, jingle bells etc -I HATE IT )

you are a funny one.
thank you

Steve and Ismari said...

Here are some really fun, non-traditional, Christmas songs...Enjoy!

--------------------

Christmas Gripping - R.E.M.

Merry Christmas - Ramones

Father Christmas - The Kinks

Christmas Wrapping - The Waitresses

Santa Goes Straight to the Ghetto - James Brown

---------------------

I love your blog!

ismari@yahoo.com

I love your stuff in Heights Antique Shop...

Sarah's Fab Day said...

That made me laugh, Anne Murray in the summer is hilarious. I guess I can totally understand your aversion.

Carolina Eclectic said...

Ha Ha! Thanks everyone for being understanding of my dilemma.
Steve and Ismari, thanks for the fantastic suggestions, I will check them out! I'm also glad you liked my stuff...we may have to meet there sometime.

Carolina Eclectic said...

Renee, I can't find your blog! What is it called?