Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Beautiful Neighborhood


Still in my home town, visiting all of my old haunts. When I was growing up, my family and I used to load up in the car and drive around our favorite neighborhood. It is Amarillo's most prestigious neighborhood, called Wolflin. Only "Old Money" need apply to reside here. Many of the streets are brick paved, and lined with beautiful trees. (Which in Amarillo is a rare commodity).

This house has been my personal favorite since I was a teenager. I love the Spanish influence combined with the bright blue. From what I here, this color was not very popular among the neighbors, but I love it! I would love to have a blue house, and be just like Frida Kahlo.
I actually did some work in the house above, while at my very first design job. I was still in school, and I was in awe of being in such a fantastic place.






There is a very eclectic mix of architectural styles in this neighborhood. From the tiniest cottages, to large mansions. Many of these houses are registered historical landmarks. Unfortunately many of these homes have been knocked down in recent years, to build bigger ones. That part makes me sad. I grew up admiring so many of these houses, and my love affair with architecture began, in part; because of them.

13 comments:

Pigtown-Design said...

What a diverse group of homes. Being from the east coast, I always think everything in texas is spanish- or adobe-style.

Alkemie said...

Wow are these gorgeous homes! The architecture and facades are just amazing! Thanks for the gorgeous line up.

Karen

Linda at Lime in the Coconut! said...

Some gorgeous homes...now I wanna see the inside as well!

You have inspired me to do a post of neighborhoods near me!

Joslyn said...

i love the front door on that first house!

Rachel Mallon said...

Beautiful Homes. I love the door design in the first image.

Kaki said...

I have followed and enjoyed your blog for a while now. So I was surprised and thrilled to see your post on our hometown and the street I grew up on! Its such a small world!

{this is glamorous} said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
{this is glamorous} said...

Such beautiful, beautiful shots, Carolina! Loved seeing a little of where you grew up. Hope you're having a lovely weekend.

Carolina Eclectic said...

PD: Oh, you are too funny! Ironically, adobe homes are rather rare in TX.
Alkemie: Many of these homes really are special. I didn't even list or picture many of them.
Linda: I would love to see your neighborhood. Let me know if you post it:)

Carolina Eclectic said...

Joslyn and Rachel: I looove that front door too. The whole house is cool, because its so mysterious looking, behind all the ivy. I always imagine an eccentric artist living there:)

Kaki: Wow! I'm so glad you got in touch...it really is a small world.

TIG: As you can see, I can be sentimental about my home town.

Sarah's Fab Day said...

I love the home that you worked on in college it reminds me of the house my grandparents lived in. Not to mention they are all gorgeous.

Cote de Texas said...

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so impressed! Who knew Amarillo????????? haha!!! just beautiful.

Artistic Chica said...

What gorgeous pictures an even prettier homes.
It's nice that you are still sharing your travels with us, while unhappier events are going on the coast.
At least your safe and having a good time.
Be careful & keep us posted.