Friday, August 8, 2008

It So Hard To Say Goodbye!

I have a confession to make: I am a hard core magazine hoarder. I stash them here, there, and everywhere. Its terrible! For the most part I try to store them in a particular cabinet, but I have to confess that they don't all fit in there. In fact, there are so many magazines; that I often lay in bed at night wondering if the shelves will give out under the weight. So this week I decided I needed to let go of some of my mags. Anyone who has a hoarding problem knows what happens next. What if I need this later? Ooh, this really is too nice to get rid of. Aaahh!
So, in order to make any progress; I'm going to scan (and preserve) some of my favorite pictures. I figure this way I can feel better about finally letting go.
The picture below shows just how long I've been holding on to this copy of Interior Design magazine. February of 2004! This is the home of Alexandra Balahoutis, owner of Strange Invisible Perfumes. I like the combination of glitz, minimalism, and industrial. The top picture is of Balahoutis' lab. It looks like a place you would find a very chic mad scientist.


Okay, little periodical. You have been a trusty friend, but now you can fly away.

13 comments:

Cote de Texas said...

C: you need to start just tearing out the good articles. I'm finding that with all the magazines online these days - I'm tossing more and more earlier and earlier!

Courtney said...

Oh my goodness - that top image is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I want to live in his lab!

Bronwyn said...

I'm with you on the hoarding thing!
When my magazine stash gets too hectic, I go through and tear out what I want to keep.

porter hovey said...

It's so hard to give up a magazine that you've had for so long. Yes, so sad.

erin@designcrisis said...

I wish my kitchen looked like that! Thanks for sharing.

Susan Gruenling said...

The only thing I hoard is design magazines! Some had gotten so worn that the pages were falling out of the spine. I finally started clipping my favorites and recycling the rest...and I do feel better with less clutter!

MABELLE said...

Oh my gosh I TOTALLY have this same problem! Every time I move to a new apartment, HALF of my heavy moving boxes are filled with magazines! It's scary. But I agree with everybody else here- make an inspiration binder full of your favorite tears! Get those clear plastic sleeves and suddenly you have a binder FULL of your favorite images, and you'll start to treasure that more than your huge stacks of magazines in the first place ;)

Uncle Beefy said...

Oh Caronlina...believe me....one day I will be on Oprah because my family turned me in for my hoarding! I'll be on stage next to Nate Berkus and some psychotherapist while clutching some 12 year old copy of Bazaar or Domino or Living, Etc. and telling them why I'm just fine. This while the audience groans and my mother gets handed a tissue by Gayle.

You're okay...and good for you!

The Lil Bee said...

I'm so glad Courtney posted the link to you...these pix are amazing! Love that doorway. WOW. I'll be back for more, for sure:)

Carolina Eclectic said...

Hey everyone, I'm so glad that all of you have become my support group. Addictions are hard to kick. I would like to say that I do actually cut out pages on occasion, but I like keeping the whole thing! I'm working on it!

Carolina Eclectic said...

Uncle Beefy: I wanted to tell you that this is the funniest comment I have ever received! I was literally laughing out loud as I read it. I wonder if Oprah would have extend your intervention to TWO episodes?

Uncle Beefy said...

Carolina....thanks for letting me know it gave you a good chuckle. That makes me smile :)

Would Oprah have to make my show a 2-parter? Please! It would probably be a weekly series! I bet Dr. Phil would even get in on it! "Beefy! You're brain is like molasses runnin' uphill on a January day! YOU'VE got a serious problem!" Audience applauds! I just keep flipping through the pages. Tissue to my mother again. This is NOT going to be easy.

Lena said...

lol...i also worry about my shelfs giving out! Now im worried my hard drive will give out from loads of photos.

I love the top 2 photos shown, they are stunning.