Friday, May 9, 2008

My Own Little Brocante.

Okay, this is not technically the correct phrase; but "Brocante" is a new word to me. (Roving flea markets). Well, I don't have a traveling flea market, but I am in the process of setting up shop to display all I collect. I guess my passion for collecting objects, is not something I talk about very often...or is it? Regardless, I do love it and I have dreamed of selling my little treasures for many years. A few years ago, I tried my hand at owning a small boutique. It was exciting, but for many reasons; did not work out as I had hoped. I have to admit, that I was quite disillusioned when my little store didn't survive. Afterwards, I guess you can say I was depressed and essentially went into hiding. You know, dreams are a funny thing. Just because you try to put them away or ignore them, they never really go away. Even though, I tried to convince myself that I just needed to forget my dreams; I never could.


So, I am going back in, just taking a different approach. I am setting up shop at an antique store in The Heights. This approach works for me because I don't have to be there all time. I have so many other things on my plate; I can't spend the time a store requires. This is why my blogging has been a bit slowerlately. I've been a bit busy! I don't have pictures of my stuff yet (because I always like things to be just so...) but I am working very hard and should have pictures soon. I hope I haven't been babbling.
In the meantime here are pics of an amazing Parisian flea market. Oh, I dream of seeing one of the flea markets some day. I can only imagine the amazing treasures that one could find. Read more about this market at Apartment Therapy.

I would also like to apologize for being slow in responding to comments. I appreciate everyone taking time to share your thoughts with me. I really don't mean to ignore you guys. I hope to be back on track some time next week :)



13 comments:

mamacita said...

Which antiques store? Is it one of the ones on 19th street?

That Girl Designs said...

Congratulations! I owned a retail store for five years here in Austin, so I understand your feelings about the whole deal. I sold mine to pursue other interests, but I miss it a lot. I'm glad you are not giving up on your dreams. Good luck, and keep us updated.

Ann

Carolina Eclectic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carolina Eclectic said...

Mamacita: I will be at Heights Antiques on Yale. I think I will fit right in, there :)

Ann: Despite how tough owning a retail store can be, it is addictive. I would love to know about what you do in Austin now, I am there all the time!

Mélanie said...

Welcome into the world of antiques dealer , can't wait to se your exhibitions !
And may be one day we will meet to go together antiques hunting

Pigtown-Design said...

When I was spending a lot of time in Paris for work a few years ago, I often had to fly in on Saturday for Monday morning meetings because of the odd flight schedule from where I lived then.

As I would walk around Paris, I'd often see handwritten signs saying Brocante and would ALWAYS follow them to see what was on offer. I think it was sort of an equivalent of our yard/garage sales, but with much cooler stuff (mostly because it was french, and new to me!).

Topsy Turvy said...

Congratulations Carolina! I can only imagine how excited you must be, and I wish I could visit your shop!
-Lana

Freshly Found said...

What an exciting Venture. All the best! I hope it goes really well.

Cote de Texas said...

I know that place!!! Let me know when you get all set up and I"ll come pay a visit. I'm SO excited for you!!!! (Wish you were going to Antiques on Alabama though - much closer to moi!!!)

And what is that top picture of? It looks like you! Where were you?

Sarah's Fab Day said...

I love that you are going for it, good luck to you!!

My Notting Hill said...

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing pics of your finds/store. You're right - true dreams never go away - they just keep popping up. We'll be in Paris in June - thank you for letting me know what Brocante means!

Carolina Eclectic said...

Hey everyone! I can't tell you how much your supportive comments mean to me. I am nervous about putting my heart and soul out for everyone to look at, but I feel its something I need to do.
Joni: The picture isn't me, these are from a Paris flea market.

LondonCalling said...

Good luck to you! Someday I dream of a shop of my own, too.