Sunday, March 2, 2008

My Dream Home, This Week: L.A. Modern


I must have Hollywood on the brain lately. Maybe, its because of all the Oscar buzz. Regardless, this week I'm dreaming of this beautiful Santa Monica home that once belonged to true Hollywood royalty. This house was built in 1930 as a love nest for premier art director Cedric Gibbons and the beautiful Dolores del Rio. Recently, the home was completely restored for producer Joe Roth, with interior design by Michael S. Smith.

For me, this is one of the most wonderful kitchens I have ever seen. I love how streamlined and clean it is. Although, I think it would need to come with a full-time house keeper to keep it this clean. (I know I wouldn't be able to keep it this neat). The sunshine is so wonderful, streaming through the large windows. I definitely am in a California state of mind today.



13 comments:

ALL THE BEST said...

I love the light and the clean lines!

{this is glamorous} said...

Stunning! And that kitchen--clean, bright, open--it's a dream.

Paloma said...

What an incredible house! The entrance is amazing.

bronwyn said...

That kitchen is incredible, also the light in the house and the garden - great find.

Cote de Texas said...

Gorgeous - Michael Smith is my favorite - isn't this a great departure for him?

LondonCalling said...

Great kitchen. Got your message. Didn't find your email. But I was kind of in a rush. Mine is londoncalling at inbox dot com.

Pink Wallpaper said...

wow i love that house! adore the vintage kitchen pendants in that modern setting.

Carolina Eclectic said...

Hello everyone. This house really is so amazing. There is nothing quite like all the beautiful light. I think I'm obsessed w/ light because, my little house doesn't have much.
Paloma, I'm glad you pointed out the entrance..its fabulous!
Joni: this is a great job my Michael Smith.
Thanks for your comments.

CashmereLibrarian said...

I used to live near here; my husband and I went looking for it one day, but it is hidden behind tall hedges. So beautiful--and such an iconic house.

Carolina Eclectic said...

CL: How interesting! I bet its even better in person.

Rebecca said...

That little hidden work desk area is genius.

j u s t i m a g i n e said...

Wow that door way is AMAZING!!

Carolina Eclectic said...

Rebecca: Oohh, you are right! So pretty.

JustImagine: I am CRAZY about the doorway! Its what made me fall in love w/ the house.