Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Call Me Crazy, But Now I Like Brass.


If I wasn't the one writing this statement, I would never believe it. ME? Liking brass? I'm the one who has made people get rid of their brass objects anytime I could! But now, I can't seem to keep my eyes off of it. Just this week, I was at my favorite thrift store, and couldn't resist picking up these brass items. First, I was attracted to the four floral drawer pulls. Their color and shape was so wonderful, I just had to have them. Plus, its not often you can find a set of pulls for a reasonable price. The second photo, is of brass chimes. I thought they were rattles at first, but they weigh about 5lbs. each. The funny thing is, I looked at them and then put them back down. Right after that, a woman walking by picked them up. So, of course you know what happened next. As soon as she put the chimes back down, I ran over and grabbed them. Now, what am I going to do with these finds? Well, I haven't figured out that part. I'm just glad I didn't come out with all the other brass items I saw. Why am I liking brass so much? (I would like to clarify, that I like antique brass...no shiny stuff from the 80's) I think a lot of it is the retro feel, which I love so much. Also, its just so different from everything thats out there. The good thing is I am not the only one who is smitten with brass. Here are just a few cool and modern brass details.
The Jonathan Adler sconce is so sophisticated and fun at the same time. It reminds me of something you might see in a chic, 1960's movie. In the same room, I would love to add this vintage Baker coffee table from 1st dibs. I actually saw a table just like it recently, and loved its sculptural qualities. Finally, also from 1st dibs, I found this 1970's "Skyscraper" chandelier. I like it because it doesn't read as "70's" only. It would look just as great in a more traditional setting; to me it also has a "Craftsman" quality.



7 comments:

LondonCalling said...

I'm liking antique brass too. Interesting chimes.

PHORM Interiors said...

I'm with you Carolina.
At the moment I cant get enough gold!
Today we are presenting a hotel concept where we have gold plated all the usual stainless steel frames (sofas frames, table frames and lamp bases).
Check out this link:
http://www.zuster.com.au/view.php?img=image/ste331.jpg&cde=Stella%20/%20STE331
Ian

About Emily... said...

In the past I was very turned off by brass also- but with all of the gold craze in homes and fashion within the past couple of years- I think this metal is really making a comeback!

Carolina Eclectic said...

Hi everyone
Interesting to see that you guys feel the same way. I think Emily is right about all the gold in fashion and homes has made everyone aware of brass again.

Patricia Gray said...

I'm glad that brass is back in vogue. Sometimes chrome just isn't right, whereas the warmth of brass does the trick.

{this is glamorous} said...

There's definitely a warmth to antique brass--love the Baker coffee table, and the drawer pulls a great find.

Carolina Eclectic said...

Patricia and TIG: I love chrome and stainless, but I agree that brass has a subtle sophistication that's hard to beat.